More Ways to Listen
In Christ & Culture podcast with Drs. Ken Keathley and Benjamin Quinn, we explore how the Christian faith intersects all avenues of today’s culture through conversations with leading thinkers.
Today’s Episode: What’s really going on in Afghanistan? Could the outcome have been different, and were 20 years of sacrifices worth it? Dr. Jeff Struecker, a US Army Ranger Hall of Famer, had 9 combat deployments to Afghanistan. He shares about his experiences and prayers for the region. Plus, we debut a new segment called “On My Bookshelf” in which Dr. Keathley recommends “quite a remarkable book.”
One editorial note: We recorded this conversation last week. Specific details in the region are constantly evolving, but Dr. Strucker’s big-picture overview remains helpful.
- Read more of Dr. Struecker’s thoughts on Afghanistan on his blog.
- Dr. Strueckers new book is titled, Start Here: Why Jesus Came and How His Message Gives You Life.
- Dr. Keathley’s recommended book is The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self by Dr. Carl Trueman.
Enjoy what you hear? Leave us a rating and review at Apple Podcasts!
One generation of girls grew up in Afghanistan with freedoms…. Was that worth it? Yes, absolutely it was worth it.
Highlights from the Episode:
- “One generation of girls grew up in Afghanistan with freedoms their mothers and grandmothers never saw and their daughters and grandaughters may never see… Was that worth it? Yes, absolutely it was worth it.”
- “I don’t think if the US left 10 years earlier or 10 years later, anything would really change about what we’re seeing today…. A lot of countries put a lot of effort into helping create a national government that’s really never existed in Afghanistan. Afghanistan is tribal leadership held in local valleys, and the United States tried to create a national government and help that national government get on its feet, control its borders and police its own people. And as you can see as soon as the United States kind of left, that national government fled for their life… and then the Taliban basically had free reign.”
- “Pray for veterans’ mental health. Some may feel betrayed right now. Many of them are asking the question about the sacrifices and the sufferings they went through. And really what they need to know is that the American people appreciate them and care deeply about what they’re going through…. For the people of Afghanistan, pray that the Lord Jesus Christ himself would change the hearts of the people in Afghanistan.”